UM Macao Talent Programme
The University of Macau (UM) has launched the UM Macao Talent Programme (UMMTP), in order to train more high-calibre professionals, promote the sustainable development of postgraduate education, and strengthen international academic collaboration in support of the Macao SAR government’s policy of ‘building a better Macao through education’.
The programme aims to encourage outstanding graduates from reputable universities to pursue further studies or develop their careers at UM, as well as to increase academic exchange and collaboration between UM and outstanding scholars.
Sub Programs under the UMMTP
- UM Macao Postdoctoral Fellowship and Associateship 澳大濠江博士後奬學金及助學金
- Macao Young Scholars Program 澳門青年學者計劃
- UM & THU Joint Training of Postdoctoral Scholars“澳門大學―清華大學”聯合培養博士後項目
- UM & CAS Joint Lab Joint Postdoctoral Program
- Zhuhai Hengqin New District Postdoctoral Program 珠海市橫琴新區博士後計劃
- NSFC Excellent Young Scientists Fund 國家自然科學基金優秀青年科學基金
UM Macao Postdoctoral Fellowship and Associateship
The UM Macao Postdoctoral Fellowship and Associateship is established under the UM Macao Talent Programme by the University of Macau (UM), to provide support to individual faculties and institutes to strengthen their research capabilities as well as to build up areas of expertise.
- PhD degree holders who have graduated within 2 years, or PhD students who are expected to graduate within 6 months from the application date;
- Applicants should have proven record of outstanding academic achievements, including publications, patents, presentations and academic awards etc.;
- Applicants for UMPF should possess a PhD degree from top ranked universities or disciplines (i.e., Top 200 ranked universities listed in the THE/QS ranking, or those listed under the Double First-Class Initiatives and Programmes in Mainland China);
- Current UM postdoctoral fellows are not eligible for this programme.
Remuneration and Duration
Postdoctoral awardees will be centrally funded by one of the following schemes under the UM Macao Talent Programme:
UM Macao Postdoctoral Fellowship (UMPF)
- Monthly remuneration of MOP40,000 (taxable)
- Annual conference/research travel allowance up to MOP20,000
- Maximum contract period of 24 months.
UM Macao Postdoctoral Associateship (UMPA)
- Monthly remuneration of MOP28,000 (taxable)
- Annual conference/research travel allowance up to MOP14,000
- Maximum contract period of 24 months
Macao Young Scholars Program
The Macao Young Scholars Program (MYSP) jointly organized by the Association for Promotion of Science and Technology of Macau and the Office of China National Postdoctoral Council aims to effectively combine the advantages of talent and research resources of the Mainland and Macao, as well as to jointly cultivate high-calibre and innovative young talents in the advanced science and engineering areas.
Eligibility of Postdoctoral Supervisor
- Academic staff who are holding full-time faculty positions at the rank of Associate Professor or above in Macao government-recognized universities, currently conducting international-level research, having experience in supervising PhD students and/or postdoctoral fellows, and willing to provide training to doctoral fellows are eligible to be Supervisors.
Eligibility of Postdoctoral Applicant
- Applicants should be new or recent PhD degree recipients (awarded within last three years), currently working as postdoctoral fellows, incumbent researchers, faculty members, or scientists (under the age of 35). Institution unit recommending the application should be the postdoctoral station or institution of regular employment of the applicant;
- If the Appointed Scholar is a postdoctoral fellow in mainland, he or she should have that the exit station procedure completed before coming to work in Macao;
- The Appointed Scholar is considered as a contracted postdoctoral research fellow in Macao and needs to apply for a work visa and follow the entry regulations of Macao SAR;
- In Macao, the Appointed Scholar will perform full time research according to direction of Supervisor.
Application Period for Supervisors: December – January (of the following year)
Application Period for Applicants: January – March
For details of the program, please refer to MYSP website.
UM & THU Joint Training of Postdoctoral Scholars
The University of Macau & Tsinghua University Joint Training of Postdoctoral Scholars jointly organized by the University of Macau (UM) and the Tsinghua University (THU) aims to further strengthen academic exchange and collaboration between the two institutions, and combine strengths and resources in certain disciplines, including engineering, materials science, information science and life science, in order to promote the development of strategic scientific research in China through cutting-edge research and postdoctoral training.
In general, successful candidates will received 2-year training under co-supervision of postdoctoral advisors in both institutions. The postdoctoral fellows are required to conduct research in relevant fields in the Tsinghua University in the first year of training while the second year of training will take place at the University of Macau.
UM & CAS Joint Lab Joint Postdoctoral Program
The University of Macau has established 5 joint laboratories with the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) to facilitate more in-depth cooperation with the CAS. The 5 joint laboratories include UM – Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences Joint Laboratory of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, UM – Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences Joint Laboratory of Artificial Intelligence and Robotics, UM – Aerospace Information Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Sciences Joint Laboratory of Aerospace Information, UM－Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences Joint Laboratory of Ocean Environment and Engineering and UM－Institute of Cancer and Basic Medicine, Chinese Academy of Sciences Joint Cancer Laboratory.
The UM & CAS Joint Postdoctoral Program jointly organized by UM and the CAS aims to integrate the respective strengths and resource advantages of both institutions in order to develop innovative research in related fields to expand the frontiers of science and technology, promote research and development in scientific fields, and jointly cultivate professionals in related disciplines for the development of higher education and scientific research. For details, please refer to Joint Labs with CAS
NSFC Excellent Young Scientists Fund
The Excellent Young Scientists Fund of National Natural Science Foundation aims to support young scholars with good achievements in basic research to conduct innovative research in areas of their own choice, so as to promote fast growth of creative young talents and foster a number of outstanding talents on the international science frontiers to achieve greater achievements in the cutting-edge research, and become the technological power of the country with the support of central government of local scientific development.
The NSFC Excellent Young Scientists Fund was first opened to young scholars from eight universities in Hong Kong and Macao in 2019. It is an important step taken by the central government towards supporting technological innovation in Hong Kong and Macao. In 2019, only four scientists from Macao made the list, all professors are from UM. In 2020, three awarded professors are from UM.
The fund mainly supports applicants who meet the following qualifications:
- Full-time academic staff in UM (with or without Chinese citizenship);
- Under the age of 38 for male applicants or 40 for female applicants;
- Experience of conducting basic research
Application period: January – March
For details of the program, please refer to NSFC website
2019 NSFC Excellent Young Scientists Fund Awardees of UM
|Prof. Guanghui HU||Prof. Meiwan CHEN||Prof. Seng Peng MOK||Prof. Songnan QU|
2020 NSFC Excellent Young Scientists Fund Awardees of UM
|Prof. Chunming WANG||Prof. Wanhuan ZHOU||Prof. Yongqing CAI|
Zhuhai Hengqin New District Postdoctoral Program
The Zhuhai Hengqin New District Postdoctoral Program aims to cultivate a group of innovative, strategic and international high-calibre scientific research talents, integrate resources in the Zhuhai Hengqin New District, Guangdong Province, Hong Kong and Macao, as well as strengthen exchanges between postdoctoral supervisors in Hong Kong and Macao and postdoctoral fellows in the Mainland for the development and implantation of the country.
Successful candidates are required to report duty at Zhuhai UM Science & Technology Research Institute (ZUMRI) and have the responsibilities to execute scientific research in the relevant fields, design and implement research protocols, undertake specialized technical work independently, as well as disseminate research results through publication of academic papers and creation of patentable invention.
- Applicants (under the age of 40) who are PhD degree holders from top ranked universities or disciplines, or postdoctoral researchers who have completed the postdoctoral training from other institutions;
- Applicants who have proven record of outstanding academic achievements, including publications, patents, presentations and academic awards etc.;
- Applicants who are active and responsible researchers with good communication skills and team spirit.
Application period: Year Round (applications can be submitted through ZUMRI)
For details of the program, please refer to the official website of Zhuhai Hengqin New Area Administrative Committee
Please contact Ms. Tiffany Chao (Ext. 4210) or Ms. Drina Wu (Ext. 9425), email: email@example.com