UM Talent Programme
The University of Macau (UM) has launched the UM Talent Programme (UMTP), in order to train more high-calibre professionals, promote the sustainable development of postgraduate education, and strengthen international academic collaboration in support of the Macao SAR government’s policy of ‘building a better Macao through education’.
The programme aims to encourage outstanding graduates from reputable universities to pursue further studies or develop their careers at UM, as well as to increase academic exchange and collaboration between UM and outstanding scholars.
Sub Programs under the UMTP
Other Talent Programmes
UM Macao Fellow
- To attract more promising Macao natives to build a successful academic career at UM;
- To recruit, nurture and retain qualified local talents as part of UM’s efforts to contribute to Macao’s future development.
- Macao permanent resident;
- Doctoral degree holder from a reputable university.
|* Faculty of Arts and Humanities||* Asia-Pacific Academy of Economics and Management|
|* Faculty of Business Administration||* Institute of Applied Physics and Materials Engineering|
|* Faculty of Education||* Institute of Chinese Medical Sciences|
|* Faculty of Health Sciences||* Institute of Collaborative Innovation|
|* Faculty of Law||* Institute of Microelectronics|
|* Faculty of Science and Technology||* State Key Laboratory of Internet of Things for Smart City (University of Macau)|
|* Faculty of Social Sciences|
Position and Remuneration:
- 3-year non-regular contract in the category of research staff with the functional title as “UM Macao Fellow”
- A taxable annual remuneration starting from MOP507,780 will be commensurate with the successful applicants’ academic qualification and relevant professional experience. The current local maximum income tax rate is 12% but is effectively around 5% – 7% after various discretionary exemptions.
Successful recruits may be requested to seek visiting appointments at a reputable research or academic institution outside Macao for enhancement on their qualifications and professional experience, as well as their opportunities for research and publications. A senior academic staff of UM will be assigned as his/her professional mentor during the contract period.
Upon meeting a satisfactory level of performance assessment and having suitable qualification at the end of the third year contract, the appointee can apply for the position of Assistant Professor of UM through open recruitment.
Applicants should visit https://career.admo.um.edu.mo/ for more details, and apply ONLINE from 8 April 2022 to 7 May 2022. Applicants may consider their applications not successful if they are not invited for an interview within 3 months of application.
For any enquiries, please contact us via e-mail at email@example.com.
UM Research Assistant Professor
To support the nation’s master plan for scientific and technological innovation, further deepen the building of the international centre of science and innovation in the GBA, and to promote industrial development in the Guangdong-Macao intensive cooperation zone in Hengqin, UM has launched the Research Assistant Professor program. High-calibre talents will be recruited to undertake research projects to serve the needs of the country and bring out the strengths of the University, thus providing important impetus for technological innovation in the GBA. This will vigorously promote the industry-university-research collaboration and the development of new industries to diversify the economy of Macao. It will also enhance the University’s postgraduate education, and facilitate the formation of a talent training hub on the west bank of the GBA. These young and knowledgeable professionals will become an important source and talent pool for the faculty team development in UM.
The applications for the position of Research Assistant Professor (RAP) in the following academic units are invited:
- Faculty of Arts and Humanities (Website: https://fah.um.edu.mo)
- Faculty of Business Administration (Website: https://fba.um.edu.mo)
- Faculty of Education (Website: https://fed.um.edu.mo)
- Faculty of Health Sciences (Website: https://fhs.um.edu.mo)
- Faculty of Law (Website: https://fll.um.edu.mo)
- Faculty of Social Sciences (Website: https://fss.um.edu.mo)
- Faculty of Science and Technology (Website: https://fst.um.edu.mo)
- State Key Laboratory of Quality Research in Chinese Medicine / Macao Centre for Research and Development in Chinese Medicine (Website: https://sklqrcm.um.edu.mo/)
- State Key Laboratory of Analog and Mixed-Signal VLSI (Website: https://ime.um.edu.mo/)
- State Key Laboratory of Internet of Things for Smart City (Website: https://skliotsc.um.edu.mo/)
- Ministry of Education Frontiers Science Center for Precision Oncology (Website: https://fhs.um.edu.mo/en/researchs/research-units/umfscpo/)
- Institute of Applied Physics and Materials Engineering (The Ministry of Education Key Laboratory) (Website: https://iapme.um.edu.mo/)
- Centre for Cognitive and Brain Sciences (Website: https://ccbs.ici.um.edu.mo/)
- Centre for Data Science (Website: https://cds.ici.um.edu.mo/)
- Centre for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics (Website: https://cair.ici.um.edu.mo/)
- Centre for Regional Oceans (Website: https://cro.fst.um.edu.mo/)
- Centre for Applied Mathematics (Website: https://cam.fst.um.edu.mo/)
- Institute of Advanced Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences (Website: https://ias.um.edu.mo/)
- Asia-Pacific Academy of Economics and Management (Website: https://apaem.um.edu.mo/)
- Centre for Macau Studies (Website: https://cms.um.edu.mo/)
Appointees are normally assigned with minimal teaching duties.
- Possess a PhD degree in the above-mentioned related disciplines in a world-renowned university;
- Post-doctoral research experience is preferable;
- Outstanding academic performance in the above-related disciplines;
- Demonstrate a good team spirit and excellent communication skills;
- English is the working language, while knowledge in Chinese/Portuguese will be an advantage.
A taxable annual remuneration between MOP500,000 and 700,000 (approximately USD61,720 to 86,410) will be commensurate with the successful applicants’ academic qualification and relevant professional experience. The current local maximum income tax rate is 12% but is effectively around 5% – 7% after various discretionary exemptions experience.
The position of RAP is on a 2-year initial contract basis, renewable upon outstanding performance up to a total of 4-6 years.
- Applicants should visit https://career.admo.um.edu.mo/ for more details and apply ONLINE on or before 15 August 2022;
- For application, please fill in the ONLINE application form and upload the following documents:
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae
- Identity Document
UM Postdoctoral Fellow
The UM Postdoctoral Fellow scheme is established under the UM Talent Programme by the University of Macau (UM), to provide support to individual faculties and institutes to strengthen their research capabilities as well as to build up areas of expertise.
- PhD degree holders who have graduated within 2 years, or PhD students who are expected to graduate within 6 months from the application date;
- Applicants should have proven record of outstanding academic achievements, including publications, patents, presentations and academic awards etc.;
- Applicants for UMPF should possess a PhD degree from top ranked universities or disciplines (i.e., Top 200 ranked universities listed in the THE/QS ranking, or those listed under the Double First-Class Initiatives and Programmes in Mainland China);
- Current UM postdoctoral fellows are not eligible for this programme.
Remuneration and Duration
Postdoctoral awardees will be centrally funded by one of the following schemes under the UM Talent Programme:
UM Postdoctoral Fellow (Class A)
- Monthly remuneration of MOP40,000 (taxable)
- Annual conference/research travel allowance up to MOP20,000
- Maximum contract period of 24 months.
UM Postdoctoral Fellow (Class B)
- Monthly remuneration of MOP28,000 (taxable)
- Annual conference/research travel allowance up to MOP14,000
- Maximum contract period of 24 months
Macao Young Scholars Program
The Macao Young Scholars Program (MYSP) jointly organized by the Association for Promotion of Science and Technology of Macau and the Office of China National Postdoctoral Council aims to effectively combine the advantages of talent and research resources of the Mainland and Macao, as well as to jointly cultivate high-calibre and innovative young talents in the advanced science and engineering areas.
Eligibility of Postdoctoral Supervisor
- Academic staff who are holding full-time faculty positions at the rank of Associate Professor or above in Macao government-recognized universities, currently conducting international-level research, having experience in supervising PhD students and/or postdoctoral fellows, and willing to provide training to doctoral fellows are eligible to be Supervisors.
Eligibility of Postdoctoral Applicant
- Applicants should be new or recent PhD degree recipients (awarded within last three years), currently working as postdoctoral fellows, incumbent researchers, faculty members, or scientists (under the age of 35). Institution unit recommending the application should be the postdoctoral station or institution of regular employment of the applicant;
- If the Appointed Scholar is a postdoctoral fellow in mainland, he or she should have that the exit station procedure completed before coming to work in Macao;
- The Appointed Scholar is considered as a contracted postdoctoral research fellow in Macao and needs to apply for a work visa and follow the entry regulations of Macao SAR;
- In Macao, the Appointed Scholar will perform full time research according to direction of Supervisor.
Application Period for Supervisors: December – January (of the following year)
Application Period for Applicants: January – March
For details of the program, please refer to MYSP website. (the website is currently under construction and will be available soon).
UM & THU Joint Training of Postdoctoral Scholars
The University of Macau & Tsinghua University Joint Training of Postdoctoral Scholars jointly organized by the University of Macau (UM) and the Tsinghua University (THU) aims to further strengthen academic exchange and collaboration between the two institutions, and combine strengths and resources in certain disciplines, including engineering, materials science, information science and life science, in order to promote the development of strategic scientific research in China through cutting-edge research and postdoctoral training.
In general, successful candidates will received 2-year training under co-supervision of postdoctoral advisors in both institutions. The postdoctoral fellows are required to conduct research in relevant fields in the Tsinghua University in the first year of training while the second year of training will take place at the University of Macau.
UM & CAS Joint Lab Joint Postdoctoral Program
The University of Macau has established 5 joint laboratories with the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) to facilitate more in-depth cooperation with the CAS. The 5 joint laboratories include UM – Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences Joint Laboratory of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, UM – Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences Joint Laboratory of Artificial Intelligence and Robotics, UM – Aerospace Information Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Sciences Joint Laboratory of Aerospace Information, UM－Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences Joint Laboratory of Ocean Environment and Engineering and UM－Institute of Cancer and Basic Medicine, Chinese Academy of Sciences Joint Cancer Laboratory.
The UM & CAS Joint Postdoctoral Program jointly organized by UM and the CAS aims to integrate the respective strengths and resource advantages of both institutions in order to develop innovative research in related fields to expand the frontiers of science and technology, promote research and development in scientific fields, and jointly cultivate professionals in related disciplines for the development of higher education and scientific research. For details, please refer to Joint Labs with CAS
FDCT Funding Scheme for Postdoctoral Researchers of Higher Education Institutions
In line with the Macao SAR Government’s policies of science and technology development, the Funding Scheme for Postdoctoral Researchers of Higher Education Institutions is devised by FDCT in order to promote science and technology innovation in Macao, boost talent training in Macao and attract overseas talents to return to Macao, and support local young scholars to enter into scientific research system and participate in the transformation of scientific research achievements.
Local higher education institutions supervised by the Macao SAR Government
Eligibility of Project Leaders
- Project leaders shall be at the grade of full-time associate professor or above that work in local higher education institutions.
- In principle, each project leader could act as supervisor for only one postdoctoral researcher funded by this Scheme
Eligibility of Postdoctoral Applicant
- The postdoctoral researcher candidates shall have significant research experience in science and technology or experience in the transformation of scientific research findings, and meet either of the following conditions:
(1) Holder of a Macao Resident Identity Card must have obtained a doctoral degree from a Macao/local government-approved higher education institution within the previous five years.
(2) Non-holder of a Macao Resident Identity Card must have obtained a doctoral degree from a local higher education institution within the previous one year.
- Postdoctoral researcher candidates holding a Macao Resident Identity Card shall register with FDCT in advance. In the case that a postdoctoral researcher has no cooperative supervisor, FDCT could assist in finding a cooperative supervisor for him/her.
- The applying entities shall collect the information of the postdoctoral researcher candidates recommended by project leaders and classify these candidates according to the conditions in paragraph 1 of this article.
- Not less than half of the total recommended postdoctoral researcher candidates submitted by the applying entities to FDCT shall be Macao residents, and not less than half of the total recommended postdoctoral researcher candidates shall be engaged in the transformation of scientific research findings.
Funding Quota, Amount and Duration
- This Scheme offers 30 funding quotas, of which 25 shall be Macao residents.
- In case of insufficient local candidates, the quotas mentioned in the above paragraph could be used by non-local candidates, but the total number of non-local candidates shall not be more than 15.
- Every eligible full-time postdoctoral researcher is entitled to a monthly subsidy of MOP30,000 (thirty thousand patacas) for up to 24 months.
For details of the postdoctoral funding scheme, please refer to FDCT website.
NSFC Excellent Young Scientists Fund
The Excellent Young Scientists Fund of National Natural Science Foundation aims to support young scholars with good achievements in basic research to conduct innovative research in areas of their own choice, so as to promote fast growth of creative young talents and foster a number of outstanding talents on the international science frontiers to achieve greater achievements in the cutting-edge research, and become the technological power of the country with the support of central government of local scientific development.
The NSFC Excellent Young Scientists Fund was first opened to young scholars from eight universities in Hong Kong and Macao in 2019. It is an important step taken by the central government towards supporting technological innovation in Hong Kong and Macao. In 2019, only four scientists from Macao made the list, all professors are from UM. In 2020, three awarded professors are from UM.
The fund mainly supports applicants who meet the following qualifications:
- Full-time academic staff in UM (with or without Chinese citizenship);
- Under the age of 38 for male applicants or 40 for female applicants;
- Experience of conducting basic research
Application period: January – March
For details of the program, please refer to NSFC website
2020 NSFC Excellent Young Scientists Fund Awardees of UM
|Prof. Chunming WANG||Prof. Wanhuan ZHOU||Prof. Yongqing CAI|
2019 NSFC Excellent Young Scientists Fund Awardees of UM
|Prof. Guanghui HU||Prof. Meiwan CHEN||Prof. Seng Peng MOK||Prof. Songnan QU|
UM Macao Distinguished Visiting Scholar
The UM Macao Distinguished Visiting Scholar (MDS) is established under the UM Talent Program, aims to provide research fund to support inter/multi-disciplinary research activities which are deemed beneficial to scientific development of individual faculties.
Academics of Associate Professor level or above (or with equivalent designations) from prestigious universities or research institutions (e.g. top 200 universities of recognized world university rankings or Project 985/211 universities in Mainland China) with proven track records in their fields of expertise
Remuneration and Duration
Maximum honorarium of MOP100,000 with a visiting period agreed upon by both parties.
Please contact Ms. Tiffany Chao (Ext. 4210) or Ms. Frances Lam (Ext. 8757), email: firstname.lastname@example.org